I've had some projects pinned to Pinterest (where else?) for some time. While I was in the big city last week I stopped into Fabric Land to pick up some things I needed for my sister-in-law's shower at the end of March. I also browsed the clearance section and found this semi-heavy duty, albeit boring cloth that I though would hold up great for a table tent. At 3.00 per metre, I bought 5 metres. I had plenty for the tent and hopefully a longer lasting creation than those plastic sticks and nylon material that you pay at least $15 for.
Saturday it was only Emma and I home in the morning so I decided it was a good time to make an attempt. Originally the plan was to follow the directions from this pin. However the link proved to be dead so I figured without eating up all my toddlerless time in further research to just forge ahead directionless. I ended up laying my 5metres of fabric across the table lengthwise. Leaving a little extra on the floor at both the head and foot of the table I cut off the extra. Next I cut out two side panels. (You could also do five panels to have a more professional looking finish, but I figured with my abilities, the top would end up having a too short side or some other ridiculousness so I decided to go with only three panels.)
M&M wanted to have a door on the long side of the table with one circle window and one square one. The easiest way to cut out a rectangle is to fold the fabric wherever you would like the middle of your window to be and then cut a smaller rectangle so that when you unfold the material you have said rectangular window.
For the door I cut a slit up the side of the fabric and then pinned two chunks of fabric seam side out so that there would also be a nice finished seam on the outside. My first attempt I stopped at the top and did some funky manoeuvring to try to get the two pieces back together. My second attempt due to another mistake I started at the bottom and just sewed one seam all the way up one side, across a little at the top and back down the other side. It was much neater on the inside, but both ways looked good from outside.
Next step was to sew on the two long side panels. For this step I pinned the two sides of the panel together where they would fall over the legs of the panel. The longer panel that ran the entire length of the table continued when I had reached the top of the shorter panels so I pinned the next side of the panel into the never ending panel and surprisingly the corners turned out not too bad. The step had to be repeated once more when the length (of the table) was reached and you continued down the far leg.
At this stage I thought I was pretty much set. As I finished up the last bit I realized something was wrong. The first panel went on fine and there was about 2 inches of extra material because in the very beginning I had left a bit extra on either end. I assumed I'd cut it off once I finsihed getting the second panel on.
As the second panel came together I realized there was a lot more extra appearing on the skinny end of the table. I had grabbed some extra material rather than the matching panel and sewed my door and window into that. They were similar in size but not perfect! On the far side the panel comes together okay, but on the closer end the corner is really off and the table leg was showing. Knowing I still had to put a bottom seam around the entire tent I decided to start over and use the correct panel.
I'm glad I did, even though the hubby kept saying it was fine, just leave it.
The other issue I was having was I had left too much extra hanging across the top of the table and correspondingly
along the sides, so rather than do a bunch of seam ripping to get the panel out, I just cut the panel off and several inches of extra so that the corners would hang at a more appropriate spot. Repeat all the cutting and sewing on the window, sewing the half finished tent to the second panel and then doing a seam along the entire bottom and this was the result.
I'm still undecided if I'm going to add flowers and curtains and those cutsey details with more material or if I will just get a pack of fabric markers and let M&M go at it. I promise an update when we decide!
Fun project for Momma that Emma's been very possessive of! Once we can get the sharing idea sunk into those two heads it should provide hours of fun and a quick cleanup. (Much quicker than blankets that refuse to stay in place anyways.)