Sunday, August 19, 2012

Peaches time! Summer must be almost over...

     Summer's end is fast approaching. Besides the cold weather we have been having for the past week that reminds us of fall, I've started my end-of-summer freezing and canning. Today was peaches...and I thought I'd share my recipe, because it's so easy and tasty.
     Rather than canning them, which is a whole lot of work for what (in my opinion) turns out to be a lot different than that yummy deliciousness of a fresh peach. This way you get the best of both worlds...taste of a fresh peach all winter long.
     Using a food processor with a shredder attachment, and no chopping blade is the secret. The best part, no boiling required, you can shred the peaches skin and all.

1. Rinse skins and halve peaches. Remove pit from halves.
2. After piling up a bowl of halves, shred peaches using the food processor.
3. Add sugar and lemon juice (to preserve color). I just do it to taste, as peaches can vary in how much sugar needed depending on the batch.
4. I freeze in medium freezer bags of about 3 cups each, just enough for a serving at dinner and a snack later.

Emma loves them still partially frozen, and I have to agree the colder the better!
On to tomatoes next, and then I know fall will be around the corner! Tomorrow Emma and I are off to school shop, so we are squeezing in a few more summer bucket pins, before time slips away on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...please leave me a comment!